Sunday, July 20, 2014

Best friends that cook together, stay together!



My best friend, Rebekah

Some of my all time favorite recipes come from friends and family. I don’t know if it’s the recipe I love so much or the memories I made with those people while making those recipes that captures my heart. This recipe comes from my best friend, partner in crime, maid-of-honor and all around greatest girl I know. She shared this recipe with me while we were roommates at Auburn one chilly, fall evening, and I have continued to make it ever since.  It’s a relatively simple and clean recipe to make but so very good! My husband always enjoys having this salad (about once a month since I love it so much) with extra salad dressing of course! I hope you enjoy!

Southwestern Chicken Salad
.       1 whole rotisserie chicken
.       ½ red onion diced
.       1T olive oil
.       1 sliced Red bell pepper
.       1 sliced Green bell pepper
.       ½ T Cumin
.       1t salt
.       1t black pepper
.       ¼ t sugar
.       1 can of corn (drained)
.       Fresh mixed greens of your choice


Dressing:
.       The juice of one key lime
.       2T of fresh chopped cilantro
.       1 bottle of your favorite ranch dressing


Toppings:
.       Cheese flavored corn chips (crushed)
.       Shredded mozzarella cheese


Remove all chicken meat and loosely shred in a bowl. Place to the side. Place olive oil in a skillet and allow it to heat. Add onion and spices and cook until transparent. Place sliced bell peppers in the skillet and gently cook. 

Pepper and onion mixture

Add the corn and chicken to the bell pepper mixture and heat consistently. Allow this mixture to “marry” on low for about 10 minutes before serving.
For the dressing, juice one lime in a bowl and add a bottle of ranch dressing. Mix this together and the acidity from the lime will thicken the dressing. Then add 2T of fresh chopped cilantro to the mix and stir thoroughly. Let this set in the refrigerator for about 30 minutes before serving to allow the flavors to mix together. 

Chicken and pepper mixture

Place the chicken and pepper mixture over a bed of lettuce and then add cheese flavored corn chips and mozzarella cheese over the chicken.  Generously add as much dressing as your heart desires! Enjoy everyone!

The most delicious Southwestern Chicken Salad!